Friday, April 20, 2007

#1 Daughter


Growing up as a child I always pictured myself marrying and having two children, a boy and a girl. The arrival of our second child made my childhood dreams a reality; in addition to our son, we now had a sweet little girl looking up at us with these big wide eyes, wondering who we were.

As a tiny baby, toddler, young child, and adult this little baby girl that we named Cynthia loved being right in on all of the action that life had to offer. Not a moment was to be wasted on sleeping and sitting still (unfortunately at times for us) as she might miss out on something fun and exciting to do.

Cyndi, when she was a wee one, was interested in doing the girly things: wearing pretty dresses, playing with Barbie dolls, being Princess Leia, and the like. It was fun to watch her trying to keep up with her big brother and as she was twenty-two months behind him you would think he would have had the advantage, but I am not so sure that this was true most of the time. She would try to bother him as much as she could get away with. Her interests growing up included tap and jazz dancing, a little ballett, and music. She also developed quite an interest in marine biology, especially anything to do with sharks, whales, and dolphins. In her middle and high school years she played french horn in concert band and particated four years in marching band. While in marching band she played mellophone for two years, was in the color guard for one year, and in her senior year took lessons and marched in the drum line, playing the quads.

After graduating from high school and living alone near where she grew up, Cyndi decided to venture a move to Indianapolis, Indiana. There she worked on an ambulance as an emergency medical technician (EMT), getting a real chance to know the city and its residents.

To make a long story short, while planning a vacation to Italy with her Grandmother Abbott, Cyndi corresponded with an Italian named Danilo for travel advice. After meeting Danilo in Italy, followed by many years of telephone calls, trips from here to there and from there to here, and meetings with the family, this Italian stole our daughter's heart and she his.


As you can see from the picture, Cyndi and Danilo are now married. The wedding took place in Italy in a small town next to where they now live. The wedding service was held in a church built in 740 AD. Relatives from the states and friends from Indianapolis flew to Italy for this special occassion. Weeks before and days after the wedding you would find the bunch of us touring from Venice to Naples and anything in between.

Danilo is an architct and teaches art history for middle school students. He is a wonderful person and is a blessing to have in the family. I must also say that Danilo's reading of Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham to our family on Christmas Eve several years ago was wonderful entertainment. I need to mention that this was read to us in Italian and the "us" included parents, grandmas, aunts, uncles, a brother, a sister, and cousins.

When I first met Danilo I said to him "There are three ways of doing things: (1) The right way, (2) the wrong way, and (3), the Cyndi way. The 'Cyndi way' doesn't necessarily mean the right or wrong way." Danilo looked at me with a big question mark on his face, not knowing what I was trying to say. After my last visit to Italy, Danilo asked if I remembered saying that to him and I repied "yes." He then mentioned that he now understands what I meant. For those of you who know Cyndi, you understand, and for those of you getting to know her, someday you will understand.

My mother gave me a saying that reads "A daughter is a little girl who grows up to be your friend." How true this is and how fortunate that my best girlfriend is my loving, wonderful, and treasured daughter.

9 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

Awwww! What a sweet post! Like Em, I had tears in my eyes when I got to the end of it. Thank you so much for your kind words and uncondtional love.

I had to laugh about "The Cyndi Way" as we all know it is true. It took Danilo a while to understand what you ment, but now (every once in a while) I hear him say "Oh, the Cyndi way...". Too funny!

Sorry I was such a handful when I was a kid. It was all a trick you know. First Scott came in and was a good baby, making you both think that ALL babies are easy. Then I come along and really sock it to you! Scott and I came up with the master plan and we are happy to see it work.

One last thing, you might want to change the name of the posts from #1 Son and # Daughter to "Thing One" and "Thing Two"! Hehehehehehe.

Much love and thank you again for the wonderful post.

Love,
Thing Two
ps. The first picture (of Danilo and I) was taken on the top of Palatine Hill in Rome this past January. It was breath taking! Can not wait to take you and Dad there.... soon!

Cat Naps in Italy said...

At first Opus, Panther and I were mad because you have writen posts about everyone but US. Then we realized that you were just saving the best for last.

What a nice post about our humans. We think they are wonderful (of course we would think that of anyone who feeds us). We were NOT very happy about being shoved into a plane, but are now every happy to be living in Italy.

Remember, there is the right way, the wrong way, the Cyndi and the CAT way!

Love,
Roscoe (Opus and Panther too, the Grandcats)

Victoria Williams said...

That is a big, long post on your daughter! There is nothing like having a daughter, is there?

G and G A said...

Cyndi-you have always been a delight to your father & I. Knowing then what we know now about you we wouldn't have done anything differently.

Opus & Roscoe-you bet, saving the best for last. The grandkitties will be up on the next post.

Kim & Victoria-wondering if you have any daughters? I can tell by your comment that perhaps you might have a least one(?)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Anyone can tell who your favorite child is!

Cat Naps in Italy said...

Anonymous- You are WRONG! Anyone who is a parent will tell you they do not have a favorite child and for you to suggest that is just mean. It is obvious that you do not know this family very well.

Amerimom misses her daughter who live 5,000 miles away, so forgive her if she wrote a slightly longer post. Shame on your for saying such a thing.

Besides, clearly you haven't read Amerimom's post on her Grandcats or you would KNOW that WE (Opus,Roscoe and Panther) are the favorites in THIS family!

I Gatti Americani

Anonymous said...

I should thind a grandchild should rate FAVORITE over CATS!

G and G A said...

Anonymous-Oh but you are wrong! I love both of my children. Each has their own spirit, love of life, and a special place in my heart. I could never choose one child over the other. How fortunate for me that I had my boy and girl. Only a parent understand the bound with each child.

G and G A said...

Anonymous-you better believe that a grandchild rates #1 over cats. Just don't tell the cats ok?