Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remember

I find September 11 to be a difficult day as I reflect on the events that unfolded on that terrible day six years ago. I was more fortunate than many as I had no relatives or friends die on 911. That one day changed not just the lives of Americans but affected the world as a whole.

As this terrible anniversary arrives I hope each of us will remember those who paid the ultimate price. Innocent people were in the wrong place at the wrong time and forever are gone.

8:35 am September 11, 2001 the first passenger jet flew into the north tower of The World Trade Center. Ninety-two passengers and crew were on that flight.




9:03 am the second jet flew into the south tower of The World Trade Center, killing 65 on that flight. The total number of death certificates filed by The New York City Health Department is 2,617 for the victims through January 25, 2002.


9:37 am a jetliner flew toward the western side of the Pentagon and exploded as it smashed through the building primarily on the first floor, killing 189 in all.




Flight 93 United Airlines crashed in Pennsylvania as passengers fought to regain control of the aircraft from terrorist hijackers, killing 45. Some believe that the hijacker's target was our nation's capital.

I am not sure if we will ever know the correct number of lives ended that day. I found while looking through different articles that the numbers were not always in agreement. Loosing one life from the evil acts of someone is one too many.


Whatever differences in politics, religion, or military views there may be, I hope you will take a few minutes to remember those who lost their lives six years ago today. I also hope that the victims families find some peace.

3 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

Mom,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about 911. I am shocked at how many people forgot or chose not to write about it on their blogs. It is important that we never forget that day and even more important to remember those who died. Your post touched my heart.

I know in Italy that most people don't hang flags outside of their homes, but today there was an American flag hanging from ours. I bought it the day after 911 and have hung it on the anniversary every year since.

Cyn

Anonymous said...

Very nice post about 911. There were quite a few posts on television. Also American flags were put up along our main road on every post on either side of the road for 2 miles. So the day had not been forgotten. I was amazed to hear that so many people from this area lost loved ones

G and G A said...

Cyndi & Nonna-Glad you checked out the post on 911. As time goes by I think those innocent lives that were lost are slowly being forgotten.Glad that Cyndi displayed our flag outside of her home.